Saturday, June 18, 2011

Seasonal Peonies Alternatives

I am so in love with the flower peonies, but unfortunately planning for my late summer/early fall wedding they just aren't an option!  Thankfully, after a little research I was able to find some gorgeous alternatives that I will for sure be using on the big day!


1) Sweet Juliet Roses (English Rose: Rosa Sweet Juliet)

This beyond GORGEOUS flower makes a perfect alternative to the peony because it blooms in both the summer and fall.  Known for their extraordinary fragrance these large blooms reduce the need more many buds in an arrangement, wink wink budget-savvy brides!

{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}

 2) Cabbage Roses (Provence Rose: Rose de Mai)

This perfectly gorgeous flower is known for its large, round, globular shape and overlapping highly scented petals. The flower is usually pink, and less often ranges from white to a dark red-purple.  Again, the large blooms reduce the need for many stems making this another budget-savvy alternative!

{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}

3) Ranunculus

This simply gorgeous flower has a bloom period from June to August, but can commonly be available into early October.  Though small in size the flower comes in an array of colors and feature long winding stem that is sure to leave a big impact in any arrangement or centerpiece.

{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}


 4) Mums (Spider, Football)


These fabulous flowers bloom late summer to late fall.  Due to such large buds, the flower fills out any arrangement nicely with a minimal amount of stems therefore making this another budget-savvy alternative! 

{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}

5) Dahlias

This gorgeous and budget-savvy flower comes in a variety of kinds and colors.  They most commonly start blooming in July and continue until the first frost.  DIY brides be sure to check your local farmers market for this flower and some great deals.

{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}
{Source}

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your posting I will actually be using it when I have the mock trial with my florist. I too LOVE peonies but due to the fact that they aren’t in season in September.. I will only be having them in my bouquet. Since I want my bridesmaids to carry something similar without the crazy prices all these flowers you posted on deff going to be something I inquire about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great to hear!!! We would love to hear the ideas that you and your florist come up with! :) Thank-you and of course, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post it made me feel so much better about my options! I have had my heart set on peonies for a long time. I actually wrote my own blog post about flowers because I was so inspired by this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so useful-will be using all these in my bridal bouquet! THANKS x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a fairly older post but it has been a huge help for me right now pre-planning for my floral appointment tonight. Thank you so much for this! I didn't think to check until today that peonies will not be around in late September!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course we had to have a little photo shoot to celebrate out creation, before we pass it onto Bianca so she can celebrate her special day! commencement flowers

    ReplyDelete