Here's the scoop on this cupcake in a jar recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Mix batter and spread in cupcake pan.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray, then fill each hole up with 2/3 of the batter. Tip: do not use liners. If you do; just remember to pull them off before putting them in the jar.
- Place in oven at a temperature of 350F. Bake for about 17 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack, cool completely.
- Once cool, slice cupcakes in half. (You will have a stack of tops and a stack of bottoms).
- Place 1 bottom in each mason jar.
- Add a layer of frosting onto the cupcake bottom.
- Then add the tops of the cupcakes, by placing on the top layer of frosting in each mason jar.
- Flatten (gently smash) the top part of the cupcake inside the jar. (You want to get the top sort of flat).
- Beautifully frost the top of the gently smashed cupcake.
- Cover mason jars with lids. Then package with pretty ribbons, spoons, etc..